Ethos and Values
- Smallthorne Primary school is a happy, vibrant and creative school and our children are central to all we do.
- Within our nurturing and stimulating environment, we encourage our children to be confident, aim high and be happy in all aspects of school life.
- We ensure our children feel valued, listened to and empowered to take an active role throughout their learning journey.
- We believe that all members of our school community should be respectful of each other at all times, and should celebrate their similarities and differences to ensure a safe and harmonious environment.
- We are proud to be part of a wider community who work collaboratively for the good of our children.
- We endeavour to prepare our children academically, socially and emotionally for their future lives beyond our school.
- To provide a safe, happy and relaxed environment which reflects an atmosphere of love, care and and eagerness to learn, where our children can work collaboratively and develop independence.
- To promote a sense of aspiration and high expectation for children and adults within our school community.
- To help our children understand the world in which they live.
- To help our children enjoy their particular stage of development and to prepare them for the next stage in their school career.
- To develop self respect and respect for the differences in others, be they of race, gender or opinion.
- To help our children appreciate achievement and aspirations.
- To develop physical ability and co-ordination, attitude of fair play, and a concern for the safety of themselves and others.
- To enable our children to acquire knowledge and skills relevant to adult life.
- To strive for excellence in all we do.
- Only the best is good enough for our children here at Smallthorne Primary and the community which we serve.
- We have high expectations for each individual learner.
- The needs of our children are central to our planning.
- We have a positive 'can do' culture which embraces change, values staff and supports innovative thinking and classroom excellence.
- Our children are entitled to a broad and creative curriculum, including enrichment opportunities, which produces independent, motivated learners who benefit from a range of opportunities regardless of ability.
- 'Able and talented' children will be recognised and challenged accordingly.
- Our pupils will only do their best if we actively encourage participation by parents and carers as co-educators and learners.
- Close and effective collaboration with outside agencies and further members of our community will be a key feature of Smallthorne Primary.
- We actively seek to raise the aspirations of our whole community.